DIY Homemade Sugar Scrub Cubes Recipe (Make Great Gifts)•
Posted on November 19 2015
If you're like me, then you are constantly plagued by dry hands, elbows and feet, especially when winter hits. Exfoliation and moisturizing are the key benefits in using natural sugars scrubs. They remove old, dead skin cells while nourishing and softening your skin, effectively giving a youthful appearance (woohoo, no more alligator skin!) It's also at this time of year that I start looking for ideas for Christmas gifts. That's when the idea occurred to me to make moisturizing sugar scrub cubes to give away. These are something everyone can use and enjoy. Best of all, they are super easy to make and come in handy portioned out sizes, so no messing with trying to scoop out the right amount each time. Everyone likes to be pampered, and these exfoliating sugar cubes do just that. You and your families skin will be left feeling soft, smooth, and healthy.
Ready to make some? Here's what you will need:
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon shea butter or cocoa butter (optional)
- 1 cup sugar (white or brown)
- 1/2 cup shredded, unscented soap
- essential oil or skin safe fragrance oil
- mica or oxide coloring (optional)
- mixing bowl (microwave safe) & mixing spoon
- mold (ice cube tray or other type)
- Combine the coconut oil, shea or cocoa butter if using, and the shredded soap in a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave for 10 second intervals until all ingredients are melted. (The soap takes a little longer to melt than the oil & butter)
- Add in whatever you are using for the fragrance or coloring, then the sugar. Stir to combine.
- Quickly transfer the mixture to your mold and let set up. Placing it in the freezer helps.
- Once they are firmed up, remove from molds and place in a covered container, this keeps them from getting dry and crumbly.
- Take 1 or 2 in the shower with you, crumble in your hands, then exfoliate where needed and enjoy the aromatherapy!
These scrubs can be easily customized to suit you or your families tastes. I made a Mint Eucalypus using our Mint Eucalyptus fragrance oil, our handmade grated soap, white sugar and colored with green oxide.
The brown cubes are goat milk & honey sugar scrub cubes. I made these with brown sugar, goat milk & honey shredded soap, and honey fragrance oil.
Other great add ins would be coffee (great for cellulite), maple syrup with brown sugar, honey, tea tree oil, lavender for relaxation, vitamin e, etc.
Place them in a mason jar and tie with burlap, jute string, or raffia. Included below is a free template you can use to place on the lids of your jars if you would like.
Have you ever used exfoliating sugar cubes? Do you have a recipe to share?